Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Execution of All Things.

Corel Painter is currently the bane of my existence, to an unfortunate degree. I plan to conquer it, and stand proudly upon it's skull.

Really, its a neat program, but its also insanely strange. I've learned to manipulate Photoshop and my Wacom Tablet to be somewhat effective, and get results kind of close to what I want. I'm a huge fan of digital painting, especially the speed paintings you can find on Youtube. Over some time, I realized they were mostly using Corel Painter, a program I had only minor interactions with.

In the long run I hope to be able to get the kind of feel/effect as artists like Roberto Campus. While spending some hours with Painter, I've come to realize that I have to completely un-learn all the things I thought I knew while using Photoshop.



This is my current project, the Robin Chick. I decided to do some life based art, while trying to somewhat keep my interest. Thie previous image was probably a couple hours into working with the program, trying to figure out the ins and outs of the brushes.

At that point in the process, I was hating it. Almost fed up to the point of not using Painter anymore. Then I looked back over Campus' work, and he said something in his blog that kind of answered what I needed to do and wanted to achieve:
"One factor to consider during the sketching process is that if you stop too often to THINK, rationalize, analyze what you are sketching from your imagination, you may interfere with your right hemisphere while it is hard at work, attempting to translate the image in your mind’s eye to your hand and then the paper/screen. Let it be an automatic process. Just let it flow."

So, I needed to find some semblance of flow, and simplicity. Let go of needing complete control, and detail. I'm still working, this next picture is probably the closest saved jpeg to what I'm currently working on:


I suppose I'll keep updates on my progress on this blog...thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment